It is the mission of the Cleveland County Historical Society (CCHS) to "research, preserve, publicize and perpetuate the history and genealogy of Cleveland County, Oklahoma and its people, and to assemble and display objects of historical interest and significance." The Moore-Lindsay Historical House, operated by CCHS, represents a small window into the history of Norman and Cleveland County; the Victorian home depicts the history of Norman from 1890 to 1910.
A Brief History of CCHS:
Historically minded citizens of Norman incorporated The Cleveland County Historical Society (CCHS) in 1967 when 600 charter members pledged, to “research, preserve, publicize and perpetuate the history and genealogy of Cleveland County, Oklahoma and its people,” and to “assemble and display objects of historical interest and significance.”
In the 1970s, when citizens in cities and towns across the United States became concerned about the deteriorating condition of older historical homes in their areas, many state and city governments formed historical preservation committees to help organize the preservation of homes and designate historic districts. Norman was one of those communities. The mayor of Norman set up the “Mayor’s Committee on Historic Preservation” with the goal to back citizen’s efforts to preserve the history of Norman through its architecture. Working with members of the Historical Society, the city of Norman purchased the Moore-Lindsay House at 508 N. Peters in 1973. Soon after the purchase, the City allocated funds to renovate the House to its original Victorian style, which represents the early settlement and statehood of Oklahoma.
From the generosity of the citizens of Cleveland County, through donations of artifacts and money, the Historical Society was able to decorate each room in the Historical House to represent the life of Victorian America at the turn of the twentieth century. Today the Historical Society maintains their partnership with the City as guardians of the Moore-Lindsay House.
CCHS Board of Directors
President: Riley Million
Vice President: John Hughes
Treasurer: Sue Schrems
Secretary: Kris Murray
Historian: Barbara Million
Museum Manager: Amy Pence
City of Norman Parks & Rec Department Representative: James Briggs
Honorary Board Member: Vernon Maddux
Honorary Board Member: Mae D. Cox
The Cleveland County Historical Society holds business meetings at 11am on the first Saturday of the month, with few exceptions. Meetings are open to the public and are held in the carriage house located behind the Moore-Lindsay House. View our calendar for exact dates.